Monday, January 25, 2010

My Sister's Funeral -1-24-10

The past week has been quite an emotional "trip" as we have helped prepare the casket, prepared music for the program and participated in the final "celebration" of my sweet sister - Quinta Nielson Beatty's funeral.

Quinta passed away on Wednesday, January 13th, after getting Pneumonia after Christmas. There was little expectation that she could or would pull through as she didn't want any interventions.

LuDeen called me to get some advice on how they should go about finishing off the inside of the casket that Quinta had my brother, Eric, build for her after her husband, Dell, passed away over 20 years ago. I told her that I really wanted to help and do this last service for my sister, so we left here Wednesday morning - January 20th - and traveled to Pine Valley where LuDeen lives. The fact that Utah and especially Southern Utah were being bombarded by storm after storm caused for a bit of concern traveling in and out of Pine Valley. They received over 2 feet of snow but we managed to do all that we needed to.

When we arrived on Wednesday, we practiced our song with Jeanette then she and Aunt Ardella left for home and LuDeen, Garth and I tackled the project. They had the casket taken to Pine Valley and we set things up in their very nice garage.

















We started by putting the satin on the two ends and putting batting in to puff it out. We then did the two sides. The pneumatic stapler helped the project to move along quickly












After doing the sides we then started on the lids.












After fastening the top with the staple gun, I then ran a bead with the glue gun and put on a decorative trim.























The finishing touches were added by our covering a pillow with satin, making a throw to go over the pillow and making a small tied blanket that could go inside. We called this Quinta's "comfort" quilt.













And we were finally done and ready to deliver the casket to the mortuary.



















With the back of Fred's pickup stacked with several feet of snow and more storm expected we weren't sure how we were going to get it down. By putting the seats in our Windstar down and pushing the passenger seat forward as far as it would go, we managed to get it in and got it delivered Thursday afternoon.




Friday, January 22nd was Eric's birthday so Fred and LuDeen, Corrin and Janice and their two daughters Christine (and her baby, Emma) & Camille, and Garth and I joined Eric and Marsha at Tim and Allen's Sports Grill in Hurricane for a birthday dinner then we all went to Toquerville to be at the viewing for Quinta and support her children.









Eric and Marsha Nielson











Corrin and Janice Nielson











LuDeen & Fred Lundin










Quinta's children & their spouses.
Left to right: Vance & Melodie Beatty Justet, Randie Beatty Haws, Lori Tate and Brad Dell Beatty.







Quinta's brothers and sisters say "goodbye".

Left to right: Eric & Corrin Nielson, Janice N. Hansen and LuDeen N. Lundin.





























Lori put together these things for a display table showing a glimpse into Quinta's 79 years of life.























At the Toquerville Cemetery -














Quinta is laid to rest beside her beloved husband - Dell Reid Beatty - who has been gone since 1988.


2 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Thanks for sharing this! I wish I could have been there. I've been thinking about you lots, and wondering how you are doing. Looks like you did a wonderful job on the casket! I'm sure that meant a lot to Quinta.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

The casket is beautiful. I was wondering if you had ever done anything quite like that before. I'm sure after all of your expertise in furniture it wasn't too difficult. I is also neat to see all of the pictures of the family at the funeral.
Love you both,
Jenny